Date: 11 January 2010
Time: 2.30 - 4.30 pm
Venue: PKNS HQ, Petaling Jaya
Tn. Hj. Sufian is a well known figure in IBS construction. Having served PKNS for nearly 30 years. He involves in various commitee established by CIDB in promoting IBS in Malaysia and has been invited to give lectures and tecnical talks to IPTAs with regard to IBS. He is the brian behind the infamus PKNS's residential projects in Shah Alam and Damansara using "state of art" semi-automated Praton Haus system from Germany.
He qouated recently as saying that the Praton-Haus prefabrication technique is still an advance technology for IBS even if we compared to current pre-fabrication technologies available in Malaysia. Graduated from University of London, Tn. Hj. Sufian looking forward to share his vast knowledge with researchers involve in IBS research. The summary of the interview (which is focus to my research area, the Critical Success Factors CSFs to IBS implementation) is as follows:
1. Operating IBS factory is difficult and challanging task which aquires a lot of hands on knowledge as well as technical expertise
2. Supply chain control is imporatant in IBS
3. Knowledge is vital, but if we dont really understand the operation and process involved in componnets manufacture, better sub-subcontract it to established supplier
4. Current trend of using aluminium framework in high rise buildings. It is expensive but promote efficient usange of tower crane, effective and not totally depends on economy of scale
5. Praton Haus factory needs 10 years to recover set-up cost. Seting up IBS factory need large sum of start up capital. Start in 1981, PKNS Praton Haus, 1990 buy all stake, PKNS Engineering. End in 1993.
6. Lesson learned from Praton Haus. Too advance technology is not good. Investment is too high. Not practical although the quality and speed of construction is extreamly good. Taisei system which adopt liner and open air factory is more practical and appropreate. Appopriete technology for IBS (at the time) is the key sucess to IBS implementation
7. Balance between factory and site is critical. Factory must be flexible to follow costruction progress. Flexiblity offers by less-automated factory is imporatant (Taisei System). Automated factory, difficult to stop production, difficult for practicing JIT. As a result, double handling, storage etc.
8. Automated system (Praton Haus) requires higher concrete strenghth. Gred 40 as compared to Gred 25 in conventional and linear production (Taisei). This is due to rapid handling. Just 8 hours set. To fit with JIT (no storage). As a result it is more expensive.
9. Coordination between site and factory is otmost impotant.
10. Pre-planning and managing process sequence and sceduling is very critical. The componants must be place in a loader in installation sequence. It requires saveral trial run. IT as a support tool is vital (not widely available at that time). Planning need to reduce double handling and minimise storage
11. Productivity and continues improvment is vital.
12. JIT - normallu 100% factory 80% factory, it is extreamly difficut to adopt JIT
13. Repitative is important. And also simplicity of production
14. Selection of appropriate technology, for approprite projects, type of IBS use, cost impact, type factory important for business survival. Capital cost is also vital. Now it is more competative to cast at site. Mobile factory technology should be further developed
15. Planning and foresee machinery and equipments. Crane. Optimise
Thank you to Tn. Hj. Sufian for this kowledge and for your valueble time.