1. The issue of sustainability, climate change and carbon footprint has become more and more concern to the construction industry in the 21st century
2. The housing sector particularly accounts for 27% of carbon dioxide emissions
3. Until recently, the UK government has set up the target of making new home compiled with zero carbon by the year 2016. There will be a new rating system to measure the carbon produce by a house and duty exemption will be introduce and given to home that meeting high standard towards acheivement of zero carbon4. A building is considered to be zero carbon when the net carbon dioxide emissions resulting from all energy used in the building is zero.
5. To reach the zero carbon targets, the developers or clients will be chose from the list of potential allowable solution such as efficient appliance and energy management system
6. However, i think the single most important factor to achieve zero carbon target is to design long life, durable and adaptable buildings.
7. Nonetheless, every building is a complex combination of many processed materials, each of which contributes to the building’s total emissions. The critique argued that the implementation of this policy is far reaching by the practitioners and request the government to be more flexibility in the definition of zero carbon houses
8. There is a logic opinion that greater implementation of offsite construction in housing could reduce cost and help to attain the required standard. Brick and mortar would be replace with energy efficient panel. Of course offsite (or any kind of industrialisation and inovation in construction) is not a silver bullet to address 'zero carbon' target, but it giving us platform to think, invent and to move forward
9. As offsite design has evolve from time to time, offsite technologies such as in natural cooling system and optimisation of insulation level are an on-going offsite technology developed with one-eye on zero carbon targets
10. In construction phase, offsite can reduce waste generation, eliminate carbon footprint and constructing in more sustainable way
11. With high quality delivery and improvement in technology, the use of offsite can alleviate some of the environment burden associated with conventional construction and may create path to achieve zero carbon target